budget 2" lift - drawbacks





After about a year of driving with the 2" lift, a few drawbacks of the 'budget approach' become aparent. Supposedly 2" is the maximum which does not require additional suspension / driveline modifications etc., nevertheless it does lead to quicker wear of components. As you can see the CV joint failed - fortunatelly everyone here in Poland was sugesting I will need to replace the entire driveshaft, but searching around in the internet I found that the fault which occured here, can be easily fixed with the replacement of one component (unfortunatelly one which was nowhwere to be found in Poland - even though Spicer has a dealer here they wanted to sell me a complete driveshaft ... for a fraction of the cost of a used jeep ;) ) Here again Ebay came to the rescue and I was able to obtain the part for $33,50 including S/H to Poland (about 1/5th of the cost I would have to pay for a used driveshaft in unknown condition).
The part is on the way, therefore I will post some picture of the reinstallation process soon. While at it, I plan on greasing everything with special water repelling lithium greese. I think that it would be wise to drop the transfer case a bit as obviously the CV joint is operating at a too steep angle ... but then again, if I have to drop the transfer case ... might as well go for a 4.5 - 6" lift ;)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: